View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Re: 3 AK preflop hands (with a quiz!)

[ QUOTE ]
AJ, do we get an explanation of why you pushed 1 and 3 and folded 2? I would like to know your thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand #1 -- Villian's a donk. Open-Minraised me preflop from button. I put in a real raise. He raises again. A little more than a minraise but not much. I'm not going to play AK OOP agst him and I'm not folding it either. I figure I am ahead of his hand most of the time and I have alot of FE. I push, he calls with QQ. So he actually had a premium hand. I spike a K, and double up.

Hand #2 -- I have 1.5+ buy-ins. Preflop reraiser has 3.5 buy-ins. I'm not going to risk that against a guy who covers me. (EDIT: especially in this huge family pot situation) Also, the initial PFR can reopen the betting if I just call. I don't like the push here. And, I don't like the call. I don't want to make a real raise and play a big pot OOP. I've invested one dollar in the hand so far. I'm probably missing a little EV by folding...but it can't be alot. Original PFR held QQ in this hand, flopped a set that turned into quads, and scooped a nice pot.

Hand #3 -- Both guys have half-stacks. Imagine a NL25 table where the folks have $12 in front of them. You guys can see pushing that at NL25, right? I want to see 5 cards with AK. I have alot of FE. Pots big enough to take it right there. My push squeezes the original PFR'er. In this hand, I pushed, and both villians folded.