View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Am I too tight in early levels? I almost always end up low stacked

I think this is too tight. I tend to be on the loose side unless my table is crazy, as I think you should start trying to accumulate chips from the very beginning. I always raise AQ unless there are a lot of limpers in the pot (then I'll limp along with them sometimes). I raise JJ and TT from any position, I raise 88-99 from EP sometimes if my stack is big enough. I'll limp all other pocket pairs from anywhere (I'll raise from LP with something like 44+ a lot). BTW, most of the time I'm saying raise is with no limpers in yet... with limpers I'll often just call. I also like raising AJ/KQ from most positions. And I'll open-raise almost any ace or something like KJ/KT from LP (I like to raise stuff like A8s and A9s from MP) if the blinds seem tight.

You also mention that you just call with hands like AK or QQ. I'll often re-raise with these hands (AK I'll call a lot, depending on the pot size). It depends on where the raise is from, but I usually reraise QQ and often JJ and TT (TT if the pot is a large portion of my stack). I'll limp a lot with suited connectors and suited aces in LP as well.

These are very rough guidelines though... I tighten up considerably in the early levels if the game is too loose -- I don't like wasting chips if I get called too much preflop. A lot of this is way looser than what most 2+2'ers recommend for the 22's/33's too, but I prefer it. Before you try to loosen up though, you need to be very comfortable post-flop or your results will probably suffer.