View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Cars... M3-- Oporutnity Cost...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whenever i see a BMW 7-series i always think, "man that's awesome" But now i'm gona say, "man what an idiot to spend $100k+ on a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you get older, you will realize that there are more ways to look at things than two extremes. Thinking "nice car" is usually sufficient. Why does the guy have to either be "lucky" or "an idiot". Why does your view on the car have anything to do with the owner at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

good point... people have different priorities... And some DO have more money than they know with what to do... Econ 101, the marginal utility they give up for the marginal gain they get is worth it to them... I'm more or less a "penny-pincher" as in, i'd rather buy a $1,000,000 home than a $100,000 car... mainly becaues i know i can recover the $1,000,000 investment in a home, but can't get ANY return on the investment of a car, besides the experience... To each his own...

I think it has to do with the way i was brought up... quite poor. Rareley had money to do "nice" things... Lived in absolute trash homes, (my parents bought a house w/o a front door. Afet we moved in, my dad went dumpster diving to find a door for our front/main entrace in a VERY low-income neighborhood-- Maywood, Illinois)... I would always save money that i got for "rainy days." And i would always "want" things that i couldn't afford. Now that i can affor them, i don't want 'em, weird how things work. My parents did move out of there, and now make enough to put 3 kids through college at the same time. after playing the game which shall remain nameless, i can buy whatever i want, but i choose not to. I'l buy myself nice clothes, a movado, computers/videogames, but i haven't spent any money on big ticket items... the satisfaction/peace of mind i get from saving money is worth more than an M3 to me...

Another reason i can't see myself spending $$$ on things is because of my friends. They are all in college, and don't make chit. Even after they graduate they won't be in the same league as me. One of 'em got offered $52/year at KPMG (50k base w/ 2k signing bonus and 15% raises each year). And that's considered MUCHO $$$ for a college grad w/ a CPA. I live similair to the way they do, xcept I can splurge once in a while. I need to evaluate the way i value money... I hold in too high a spot. Maybe when i get older, i'l be comfortable w/ a 60k car...

i mainly made this thread as a "jebus, cars are hella xpensive."