View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Cars... M3-- Oporutnity Cost...

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought really expensive cars were pretty stupid, but then again I've never been in the position where the money was trivial to me.

I think that's the key. Here in L.A., people pretty much screw themselves over hard buying cars that are way too expensive to them, just slaves to their imagined social image. Then they live like crap in the rest of their lives because the car and the insurance breaks them. There's house-poor, which at least means you're working on increasing your capital and probably have a much better life overall, and then there's car-poor, which means you're just basically stupid.

I guess to me, cars in general should be minor expenses, not major ones. Kind of like what they say about yachts -- if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. Being a slave to a depreciating asset is retarded and speaks of severe ego problems an difficulties in dealing with reality. But if you're making enormous bucks, then an expensive car makes more sense, if the rest of your finances are truly in order. But there's no reason that someone should be buying cars that are any strain on their budget unless they're making so little money that every car would be a strain, and they have no choice. Savings, investments, and home ownership should always rank far higher in importance than flashy crap, even cool flashy crap like neato cars that one can find all kinds of rationalizations for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say something about guys who buy expensive cars having small penises, but that sums it up well.