View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: General stud theory question: Being raised in the first betting round

Yes the answer is generalised but it does refer to a scenario were there are a number of overcards out which have yet to act. There are circumstances where I would open raise with a middle pair and even reraise although this entirely player dependent, but not into 3 live overcards.

The point I was making about limping is in that scenario was that if you are raised then there is a strong possibility that you are up against an overpair. In that case you need to maximise the opportunities to improve the best case scenario and a large part of the hands EV comes from hitting a set. If one of your cards is dead the chances of hitting the set have been reduced by 50% and therefore the had has become a great deal less attractive. I take your point about the Ace kicker provided it was completely live an Ace kicker makes any pair playable although I would'nt play a completely dead small or middle pair with an Ace.

The point about concealed pairs v split pair accepting that you need to improve to win in this scenario nothing kills action quicker than a paired door card consider (99)69 v (96)99 which one do you reraise to deny them a free draw at a straight ? Therefore a concealed pair is more likely to get paid off therefore I value them more highly then split pairs particulary small or middle pairs which probably need to improve to win.

The point about the secondary outs is that they do not make the hand playable because you need to get 2 cards to have a powerful draw by 5th street you miss on 4th and they are pretty much dead. I would trade them for an Ace kicker.

I would suggest the fastest way to go broke is call heavy action from an number of overcards with a middle pair into the latter betting rounds. If it ain't improved by 5th and there is action get out of the way you are losing.

Hope that clarifies my position.

Ross