View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Dog Advice Needed(serious question)

Hey guys,

My fiancee(-EV) and I went and picked up our new dog today. He is a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian. She is scared of big dogs and liked these the best, so, there ya go.

The issue I'm having is this. The dog used to be a stud, and is used to being crate trained nearly 22 hours a day. He has a VERY set schedule, and most of the time retreats(while happily) to his crate when he has nothing to do.

So we bring him home today, I take him out a couple of times to see if he needs to go to the bathroom, or whatever. He never goes. He won't drink anything. He won't eat anything, and now he won't come out of his crate like he was earlier today. I can tell he's just really scared, being away from his home for the first time ever, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Should I let him have his time in there? Possible issues I see with this plan are him not eating/drinking much, and of course him going to the bathroom.

Should I take away his crate, and force him to adapt to the new house?

I don't want to make him scared or make him not like his new surroundings obviously. He isn't showing any signs of aggression AT ALL, so thats a good thing.

Anyway. This is the first crate trained dog I've ever been in contact with...not sure how to approach this.