View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:51 PM

Default A proposal for a new type of tournament

Don't get me wrong I love the gambling aspect of poker where my AQ can suck out on an AK preflop to double up (or i can win money longterm by taking the AK vs AQ matchup). But what about a new type of tournament that is more fair to a player.

My proposal is for the first half, three quarters etc of a tournament to have any all in showdown before the river pay out based on the odds that a certain hand will win. So if AQ goes against A2 preflop AQ will get 73% of the pot and A2 will get 27%. This will acomplish a few things. First it will make the better players stay in the game longer with better decision making and no fear of losing to suckouts. Conversly it'll be harder to accumulate chips with all in plays this way for good aggressive players but that leads me to my second point. It will reward players for playing poker until the river by paying out 100% of the pot to a person who has a 100% lock on a hand and doesn't feel the need to push a small edge before all the cards are out.

By no means do I think this should replace traditional poker at all but I'm sure there would be some people who would like to give this a shot.

Alright time to flame away.