Thread: Another Beating
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 05:02 PM

Default my thoughs on the hand

I guess I never commented on the actual hand, so here goes. The pre-flop raise is probably the exact same raise I would make. I think you made a mistake on the flop though. It's not something that would have changed the results given that you were against KK, but in general you should consider the following.

There is only a little more than one pot bet left in your stack, and on that flop you pretty much always need to go all-in (unless your opponent is so tight that he'll only play aces and kings for your raise... but I image he would also make the call with AKs, which you get to stack now). So the thing is, you're committed to getting all the money in if you can, so what you need to do is to arrange the betting to maximize the chance that you're opponent will get all-in as well (er, call your all-in, whoever has the smaller stack). Anyway, I would recommend a smaller bet. Unless your opponent is so paranoid that he will fold AK to a smaller bet but call an all-in bet, I would probably say betting something like half-pot would be appropriate here. You didn't say the actual board, so if there are turn cards that can put you in a tough spot then pushing all-in now seems more attractive, but in general I would strongly consider a half-pot or similar bet in this spot. Of course you would have gotten stacked anyway, but in the future it's something to think about.