View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 01:59 PM

Default setting up a \"poker season\" at home and would like some advice

I realize this may not be the proper location for this post but several of you i have played with and i know you have the weekly sng pts and standings (btw i redid my hard drive and lost the link to those standing if some1 can post it)

Last year we had a weekly poker game at my place where we ranged from 8-16 players. So essentially it was either a single table SNG or a 2 table SNG. THis year we want to make it a bit more interesting by keeping track of placings and having an acutal standings.

I figured i could have a points standings in which everyone who enters a tourney would receive 1 pt. Then you would receive 1 pt for every additional person you outlast. So if there were 8 ppl and you won you would get 1 pt for entering the tourney and 7 pts for outlasting 7 ppl. Seems simple enough.

The season would last an entire semester and would consist of 10 tournaments. To make things fair i figured i would only count ppl's top 7 finishes. (since we are all students it seems unfair to penalize some1 if they have an exam or something on poker nite) This will require more work out of me i realize.

Our buy-ins are $10. However to make the "season" more interesting we are going to collect $11 from every person and put the extra $1 into a pot for the end of the season.
So i would anticipate the pot at the end of the season will b around $100.

Here's where my question lies. I have several options of how to distribute this money but am unsure of the best route.

Option 1) Just divvy up the money to the top 3 places

Option 2) Have a $30 (or other value > 10) entry tournament at the end of the season, with free entries going to as many places as possible.

Option 3) Have only the top x amount of ppl, say 5, be entered into a free roll where they play for the money. Starting chips would be staggered by where you placed over the course of the season.

Option 4: Please share some ideas

Does any1 see any hiccups in this? Things i may b overlooking or things i could do differently to make it more enjoyable?

Thanks for any input,
Profit