View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Do you rat out your 16 year old nephew if you think he\'s toking?

[ QUOTE ]
I am a hypocrite!

I as of recently was a stoner for 10+ years.

16 is to young. Stop him now. If he does poorly in his studies now this only contributes.

School is more important. If only I could turn back the clock.

Face it stoners, Pot makes you lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call BS. If the kid is depressed or something, an astute parent should/would pick up on the other signs of this and get the kid therapy or prozac or something.

If the kid is bored with school/being a teenager, quiting pot isn't going to make his life more interesting. Ditto if he's just plain ole lazy, quiting pot isn't going to turn him into some super motivated type A person.

All we really know here is that the kid got stoned once or a couple of times and his stupid friends took pictures and put them on the internet.

16 ain't all that young. He'll probably be done with HS in about a year and will be old enough to vote and die in Iraq and everything. Forbidding a kid from smoking or drinking will either result in super secret behavior or he'll just flip out in college when the 'rents won't be able to watch his every move.

For a lot of people, alcohol and pot are recreational drugs and are fine when taken in moderation. I'm guessing the OP wouldn't have freaked out if the pictures had cans of bud instead of bongs in the background.

p.s. For the record I'm not a stoner. I got high around once a week in HS and get high about once a year as a 35 year old.