View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM

Default I was OK with the killing at first, too

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys not realize he RAN AWAY FROM THE POLICE in a subway station wearing heavy clothing in the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if he was not running away from the POLICE ?

What if he was running away from baseball-hat T-shirt wearing tough-looking DUDES who did not identify themselves properly (or loud enough) as the POLICE ?

(By the way, the acoustics in the underground are terrible!..)

I am absolutely in favor of aggressive preventive measures by the police --- provided they are carried out professionally and efficiently. Would you want your son to have a mugger threatening him and, when he makes a run for it, to shoot him dead ? If the POLICE appeared to the Brazilian as muggers, they were the ones that started the tragic events rolling, i.e. the suspect trying to run away. I was in favor of the killing at first, but now I cannot see a young man being so stupid as to be running away from the POLICE (a) after the terrorist attack when he would know the POLICE are edgy, and (b) for no reason (the Brazilian was a law-abiding fellow).

The POLICE should make sure that, when they take off the civilian appearance, it is blatantly obvious that they are THE POLICE, goddamnit!.. How difficult can that be?