View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Hand from the final table at the $1000 buy in event at Tunica

I played this hand and it cost me the tournament. I'd like some advice from y'all.

Chip Counts:

Tony Lay 138,500
Dennis Perry 186,500
Will Wetzel 175,000
Craig Mordock (me) 155,500
Juan Vazquez 106,500

5th pays out $22,000
4th pays out $26,000
3rd pays out $29,000
2nd pays out $59,000
1st pays out $110,000

Dennis Perry was playing tighter than a cloistered nun. I knew I could get away from a hand if he was in the pot. Tony Lay was the best player at the table. He was opening pots and playing very agressively. Tony would lay down hands when he was beat and almost never showed a drawing hand. He seemed a little afraid to tangle with me. In the pots we played against each other, niether showed down a hand. He played real well and deserved his win in the tournament.

I thought Juan was very passive post flop. I didn't have a great read on Will. He had shown down some trash hands but was willing to call an all in w/ a less than premium hand.

I have A-K of clubs.

The hand is folded to the small blind (Will Wetzel), he calls and I check trying to trap him.

Flop comes Jc 7d 4h. Will bets 18K and I raise it to 43K. Will calls. The turn comes a 5s. Will bets at the pot for 40K. I think for about three minutes and fold.

I was confused by Will's play. Of course, even if he had a 4 in his hand I was beat. After his bet on the turn, I didn't have enough chips to make him fold to a push all in. He also bet the turn w/o hesitation. I was looking for a re-raise on the flop. At that point, I would have let the hand go. I thought for sure when he called the bet on the flop, I would get to see the river for free. All in all, I am not upset by the lay down, as I was playing to win, and thought I could pick a better spot later on. Little did I know I'd be totally card dead, even for short handed play, after the break.

What do you think Will had?