View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: QQ Preflop: How does the buy in determine how you play this hand?

There is the possibility of hands other than QQ+, but it is not great enough to risk losing my stack this early provided there are no reads(they will surface later) - in other words, in 2+2 terms, ev is negative -- when you take into account the structure of an SNG of course.

Now say the other guy does have AQ or TT. We decided we are only calling (all-in vs. even this "expanded" range is too dangerous). Where do we plan to trap him? Ace or King on the flop folds you -- though he will also continuation bet with TT and thus take us off the best hand(and value) -- only flop we are playing is non Ace or King. TT may give us action on a flop of small cards, but a good player will still be wary considering we called a re-raise - a set or overcards to his TT are very strong possibility. AQ on a Qxx flop is a stronger hand for him, but quite imporbable since we hold QQ. Only AQx or KQx flop is a true payoff (or any other set flop if he has KK or AA) - but we don't have the odds to draw to a set preflop. Otherwise, I don't see us getting much action on a favorable flop - an absolute must if this play were to be correct.

I would be appalled if the higher level Party SNG experts agree with all you "QQ on level 1" fanatics - it is a specialty hand that must be played acutely.