View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: New to SNG\'s, question on pre-flop play.

[ QUOTE ]

I've always followed the 5-10% rule, where it's ok to play any speculative hand for less than 5% of your stack, never more than 10%, and inbetween is at your discretion. I've been calling 60 chip raises in the early going with some small pairs hoping to stack an overpair. Is this something people do in these things, or is it best to play ultra-conservative early on to save chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call 60ish raises with 55 when several other people are in the pot. You really need to be sure of winning a big pot. It'll be rare that you'll be sure a single player has an overpair when the raise is giving you the odds to call (Usually I'd need a raise and a reraise to be sure. Or a big raise that obviously doesn't want to give odds to callers, which by definition you can't call). Suited connectors just muck, because if you flop a draw you won't be given the odds to chase.

Generally just play tight in the early levels. I like to limp in late position with semi-strong hands, but I never call raises with them.