View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Amazing Play (Stolen for Super System) -- Can\'t Believe It Worked!

Unbelievable play that I somewhat stole from Super System (anyone recall Doyle talking about this?). I just can’t believe I was up against an opponent where it actually worked.

Set-up
500K Qualifier on Party Poker
$9+1 buy-in
Top 7 players get seat in the 500K Guaranteed Tourney
100 players left

Blinds at 25/50

HERO has decided to try playing tournament super-aggressively, but not stupidly. Table image is pretty aggressive, though not many hands have been shown down. The very last hand, HERO made a bluff bet on the river with a busted draw and got called by UTG with second pair. Also, UTG has just limped/called PF with KJo.

Relevant Stacks
UTG (2485)
HERO (2205)

Pre-flop

HERO has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP

UTG limps, 2 folds, <font color="red">HERO raises to 175</font>, 5 folds, UTG calls 125

Flop: (425) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, <font color="red">HERO checks</font>

Turn: (425) [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] A:club

UTG bets 100, <font color="red">HERO raises to 350</font>, UTG re-raises to 900, <font color="red">HERO goes into the tank…</font>

Here were my thoughts.

I checked behind on the flop because I had been showing aggression and I HATE getting check-raised on that flop.

I raise the turn because I have the nut hand and I want to make the same move I would make if I were trying to steal here. I hope to get called here and follow with a callable, decent river bet if he has two-pair or a set.

Once he re-raises me, I know there is only one hand he does this with. We both have Broadway. So I go into the tank, and use almost all of my clock. I want him to think I am counting my odds/outs and deciding if I should call with my set to try to fill up, or my flush draw.

<font color="red">HERO calls</font>

River: (2225) [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks, <font color="red">HERO instantly moves all-in for 1030</font>, UTG thinks for a while, comments how he thinks I “have color”, and folds.

Now you can say that this move is pointless, or I got lucky, or that no one else in the world will fold here, but here’s the point. If you know you are going to split a pot, and there is even the most minute probability that you can make Villain fold by employing such a play, then it is +EV, and certainly worth a try.

I’d love to hear some comments and analysis, as always.