View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: UK Poker boom update

Poker in the Uk has until recently always been seen as a near criminal activity. House games are unknown, there is no collective knowledge. As for myself apart from a lifelong strange yet completely removed fascination with poker,(possibly based on an episode of Alias Smith and Jones where they played Montana Red Dog that I saw when I was 10yo) I had no knowledge of the game whatsoever. I think I "knew" on an instinctive level that I loved the game, but until a year ago until I chanced upon Late Night Poker on an obscure sattelite channel I didnt know Texas Holdem existed. The hole cards were visible to the camera-I was completely hooked.

As more channels started showing more poker I realised poker might take off over here. I flirted with the idea of starting a home game.I decided to learn how to play to see if I could catch a jump on the rest of the country.
Until 6 months ago I assumed online poker was a ripoff. Then I found this forum and started to grasp the size of this thing. At that point I didnt know there was such a thing as limit [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

There is still a lot of distrust of internet poker, but the walls are coming down. The brits are coming [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]