View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Blind v Blind near the Bubble

I've been thinking about blind battles in low M situations recently, and I think it comes down to textbook TPFAP: don't raise if you're going to hate a re-raise. So I raise my worst hands here if I think I can steal, and I raise any hand I'm willing to call a push with (this includes any pair and A9+). Hands where I think I'm ahead (weak A's, weak K's) and hands that play well post-flop (JT, suited cards, etc.) I limp, and, depending on the strength of the hand, may call a small raise. This also gives you the option of putting in the last bet by limp-re-raising all-in if you think BB is stealing.

After the flop, I play very aggressively, because it is so hard for BB to have a strong hand. My goal is to be the one putting in the last bet (all-in), unless I am trapping with a big hand. So I will check-raise all-in if I pick up a draw, or sometimes just with two overs if I think BB is weak. If he checks behind, then I'm happy to see a free card. But unless I hit, I don't bet the turn, because I don't want to get blown off my draw by a push. Usually the pot is small enough that I can afford to check-call; it's a little riskier to check-raise all-in on a draw with only one card to come, and less credible, since you passed up two opportunities to bet already.

If I raised pre-flop, I'll push most times I make a pair or a draw, and sometimes just with overs.