View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Post College Depression

[ QUOTE ]
Relying on poker for a living is stressful. If you don't thrive on stress its not a good idea.

Imagine working on an assembly line in a factory and doing exactly the same work every day, but the end of the week your paycheck is a random number, not revealed in advance.

Sometimes, its a nice fat paycheck, but sometimes, even though you work just as hard every week, its a negative number. The factory actually made YOU pay to work there that week. And they might do it again next week, you can't be sure...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great analogy. It is not really the stress of poker that bothers me, as I have lots of back up plans/finances that I'm not too worried about failure.

My other two jobs I had in college were working selling electronics completely on commission, so I've never actually had a steady paycheck. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I worked at Circuit City back when salespeople were on commission, and if someone brought something back it came off your totals for that day. There were days I worked 10 hours and sold -5,000 dollars worth of stuff. However, in the long run I made three times as much as I possibly could have imagined. It was a good summer.

I love the feeling that the harder you work the better you get paid. Commission based pay is the way to go for me, though most people will disagree.