View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Starting hands theory

I have just started studying Harrington on holdém volume 1 and have some question regarding starting hands and opened pots. I like to know if I have understood the theory in this part correctly.

Harrington outline three playing styles and the starting requirements to open a pot when you are First in. He also discusses the Gap concept, and I guess my questions are about how to use it in regard to the different playing styles.

Assume I know nothing about my opponents.
Also assume 10 handed play.
I’m in MP3.
Early players fold
MP1 call BB
MP2 folds

First:

Lets say I have chosen to play according to style 1, conservative. What should I do?
If I understood the theory correctly I should raise with early position hands, and call with middle position hands.

Second

Say I have chosen to play according to playing style 2, aggressive. What should I do?

I suppose this is my key question. Should I fall back to playing style 1 hands and raise only with early position style 1 hands. And call with style 1 middle position hands?

If I have understood the theory correctly I should revert back to style 1 when someone already has opened the pot due to the gap concept. I’m I right?