View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: David\'s challenge?

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, I really think he is wrong about opportunity cost. I don’t think Christians, for example, as a rule give up a science that they would have had a passion for because of their religion getting in the way. If we agree that the above is the main issue, then we have to study if religion is distracting would be scientist. If so then religion needs to better teach its members that the two are not mutually exclusive. If not the case, then a study of why scientist are so mistrusting of religion is in order (aside from the surface scratching we have done here. I really think it is because few have actually studied higher theology. ) I am not in the science social circles, but simply reading (for example) Bertie Russell’s text here briefly, he had no clue about Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was Thomas Aquainas who taught that there is one "truth" and essentially theological and scientific truths must not contradict. I fully embrace this idea (as I'm sure you do too RJT) which is the reason I wonder why most atheists have a standoffish, "either science or religion" attidude. I happen to see the harmony of both.