View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: It\'s heads up... I raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet

[ QUOTE ]
But I felt that by not raising the flop I may have encouraged him to lead the turn (remember, I viewed him as a first level thinker) with his flush draw or underpair and that I would be folding the best hand. So, in order to be certain that I was not folding the best hand, I raised the turn, got re-raised and folded, certain that I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are thinking this, why not just call the turn and call the river? You're still paying 2 bets, same as if you raise the turn, plus there's a chance (however small) you win the pot at showdown.

If you call the turn/river and lose, you lose two bets which is the same as folding to a 3-bet.

If you call the turn/river and win, you win 2 bets.

If you raise the turn and he folds, you win 1 bet.

If you raise the turn and he calls, then calls the river and you win, you win 3 bets.

If you raise the turn and he calls, then calls the river and you lose, you lose 2 bets.

Explain to me why, if you're afraid of folding the best hand on the turn, it's not better to call/call than raise/fold. With call/call you cannot fold the best hand.

Is it just a matter of how often he will fold a hand that beats you, either to the raise or a turn bet?