View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Windmills o[n] My Mind

[ QUOTE ]
A number of years ago (at least 20), I did some research on electricity generating windmills. There were only a few small companies manufacturing windmills back then and the cost was prohibitive.

Is anyone updated on current technology of windmills? Are there any areas around the U. S. (world too, out of curiosity) where the technology is becoming a reality for the ordinary consumer (for homes)?

It seems to me that mass production of windmills (therefore cheaper) is a simple a solution to replace some of our non renewable resources.

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw a TV show with a personal unit for electricity generation this last year.

I estimate that the device stood about 5 feet high, had a small 3 bladed turbine with an approximately 2.5 foot diameter and supposedly generated enough electricty to power an average household. My stepdad (who worked in solar power for a number of years before Reagan killed funding) seemed extremely skeptical about the unit being capable of producing power on that scale and I tend to trust his opinion. Engineer with lots of experience, good practical engineering skills, smart, has read popular science and popular mechanics for years...

The show was really cool. They had biodegradeable plastic type stuff for forks and all sorts of alternative energy devices for consumer use. An hour long with a good host at some alternative energy fair type thing, I believe somewhere in Northern California, possibly Arcata (definitely a more forested less populated and more northerly than the SF Bay Area).