View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Mid Pocket Pairs... Trouble Once A Flop Comes Down

Raise more preflop to define your hand and discourage callers, or just limp and play for set value.

There is already 135 in the pot when it gets to you, so you are offering great odds to the limpers and the blinds by raising to only 120 more. If you want to raise, make it 220 or so - you are offering the limpers/blinds poor odds to chase. If the table is playing such that even a large raise will not get anyone out, just limp and try to flop a cheap set or an overpair.

On the flop, I think you absolutely must throw in a continuation bet here. What are you afraid of? Why do you want to see a showdown? There is only one overcard, the board is fairly uncoordinated, you are the pre-flop raiser, and you are in position. Bet, then reevaluate if you are called or raised.

The turn mini-raise is absolutely worthless here. He bet about 1/4 of the pot, making me think that he is either making a probe bet with a weak Queen, low PP, maybe a flush draw or has garbage and feels like the pot is for sale. I would pop it to about 400-500 if I felt like I could take the pot from the CO, or I would just fold and start over on the next hand.