View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Yes, I limped UTG with 10 BBs

A few comments

1) I know I'm giving the blinds a great chance to hit and other players a chance to see a flop with their mediocre stuff, etc etc. But the point is that I'll have a better chance to take the pot if I get to a flop, AND I'll have a better idea of my chances to take this pot once everyone else has had a turn to act and the flop has come down.

2) I think an open push is probably marginally +EV but that limping here has comparable or slightly better EV with much less variance. But what do I care about variance, since all the money is in the top few spots and I obviously need to build as stack? Because I'm a lot better than this field, and I want to maximize my chances to outplay people. That's why I think trying for a flop gives me more EV, and why dodging a high variance small edge play is a good idea.

3) Minraising is an interesting notion, but since there had been some minraising at this table and it would look as much like a cheap blind steal as a monster, I don't think it will instill the necessary uneasiness in people that I want. Perhaps with different table dynamics.

4) I really dislike opening for 5k or 6k since it begs someone to put me all in, and while KJs probably folds to an open push or limps behind my open limp, he may now push over my vulnerable raise since my stack size represents the prefect amount of fold equity for him to make that play.

I still like my limp, mostly because of #2. I feel like plays like this are crucial to maximizing my edge in small buyin MTTs. If this were WCOOP main event I'd be auto-jamming.

Everett