View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: New NL Full Ring Autorates

I applaud your effort. I took your previous rules and modified them a bit...took out vanilla and added back Maniac, but they serve as a great basis for constructing ones own NL rules.

That being said...PTH is obviously not designed for NL, and the rules that you make are a terrific attempt to use a hammer as a screwdriver. In my mind, the distinguishing feature of NL and PL is the control one has with the size of bets. Trying to make use of statistics for this game that don't take into account the size of one's bets is going to achieve very limited results-- albeit more useful than nothing.

I have found in PL (Omaha) but I think it would apply in Hold-em as well, that W$SD is by FAR the most usefull second rating criteria (after VP$IP). This works in PL because very often you can avoid a bad SD because it takes several moves (usually a re-raise or two) to put someone all-in.

I have a feeling that PTH and PTO stats are most useful in limit, followed by PL (using W$SD stats) and least useful for NL because the size of the bets is of such great inportance in NL and it just isn't available information. So I'm calling for some bet size stats in PT for the NL players.