View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Why Geniuses Don\'t Make Money

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The average net worth of all Americans who are extremely smart is greater than the average net worth of all Americans who are very smart which is greater than the average net worth of Americans who are somewhat smart. There are two reasons why this isn't obvious but if you fall for them it is YOU who isn't smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you pull these nebulous stats from the usual orifice?

[/ QUOTE ]

i never thought my dept. of labor work would EVER be useful in common conversation.

using the annual (and monthly) census current population surveys, i constructed variables that flagged for income/net worth/earnings/retirement and other things like benefits.

i then created a mix of variables that broke up education level into catagories such as grade school, middle school, high school, some college, associates degree, college, some grad school, masters, PhD.

i then used age as a control (so as not to bias the study by age) and proved in each CPS i used that education (not a direct measurement of "smartness" but a very good proxy imo) can be used to "hot deck" or very accurately predict the income level. the two variables are directly proportional, although the rate of increase incrementally is very fast from high school to college to grad school, it is very slow from masters to phd and from grade school to middle school (its an S curve).

therefore, it is VERY LIKELY that the smarter you are, the more you make/areworth/have in equity etc...

this is over a random sample of 128000 americans, which, as concluded by the census, is a very good representation of the general population therein.

-Barron