View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 04:35 AM

Default OT: Heads Up Strategies and considertaions

I've been playing nothing but heads up matches lately as you know, and after 100 I feel that my game has definately improved, but there's some things I'm definately getting hung up on

1 - When to push harder with marginal hands.

I've noticed that when your opponent is in the 10-20 (rather than <8-10 like most SNG players use) BB range, they push. They usually only push with any 2 face cards, any PP, Axo and Kxo. They'll fold anything else to a decent size raise. What hands should I be raising here? Should I ever fold to a reraise for the rest of their stack?

Obviously I should loosen up as the blinds go up, but should I loosen up according to my opponents stack? One thing that wins me so many heads up matches is when I raise with crap like K6s and they min re-raise me and the flop comes 6-3-6. We have a quick raising war and they flip over JJ and cuss me out about "how could you call with that preflop?"

2 - When should I get agressive?

Usually I don't start out agressive, but I feel that I have better results when I get agressive as a big stack, and worse results when I get agressive as a small stack (when the blinds are low). When the blinds are higher, it's exactly the opposite.

Sorry this wasn't thrown together nicely. Just some random thoughts on heads-up play.

No one on this site really talks about HU SNG's, and I'd love to have some people to talk about hands with and discuss my game/ their game with. I'm trying to learn whatever I can.