View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Jumprope Exercising?

Look for some of the expensive leather ones. Some are adjustable, some are just really long. Alternatively, spend 2 or 3 bucks at the hardware store for a piece of rope you can cut to your size.

Jumping rope will keep you in fantastic aerobic shape and is perfect for martial arts. It can help your coordination and keep you light on your feet.

When doing rope jumping, I vary the intensity without changing the speed of the rope, either by doing it one-legged or by adjusting my breathing. Do your breathing as hard as you can, like you were doing a wind sprint, and you will make the jumping much harder. Do the breathing in a series of small breaths in and out as fast as you can, and you will also make the jumping far harder aerobically. The latter was a big favorite of mine. You can make it a pretty hard exercise that way.

I've been a big fan of combining jumping like that with punching and kicking drills and/or with different kinds of push-ups. If you're in good enough shape to keep it up at maximum intensity, you can get a hellacious work-out in 20 minutes.