View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Meditations on getting a Vespa

when i was in florence for a month i rented a scooter to fly around town with. it was pretty intimidating at first.. for the first few days to a week i would try to only go out on it during the wee hours of the night or very very early morning when nobody else was out. this also helped me learn the city.

after the first week or so i was super confident and didn't feel nervous anymore. i went out during the day and in thick traffic. italian drivers are crazy, and soon enough i became assimilated. it's funny.. first few days i didn't even want to go out during the day, now i'm passing busses on the left.

anyway, it was so much fun that i convinced myself i would have to purchase one when i got back. the problem is, nobody rides scooters here. in italy EVERYONE rides them. and EVERYONE looks goofy on them, but nobody cares somehow. there you are with this scooter and big ass goofy shield on the front, in your goofy ass helmet and nobody cares.. so it's ok. i can't picture myself riding that thing around in the united states.

naturally i began thinking about motorcycle style, and i still am. i like this ducati angle, i must say.