Thread: Frozen Embryo
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Frozen Embryo

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so BTirish says it is a fact that life is created at the moment of conception. We can't argue with that because his definition of life is the same as his justification of when life begins.

So it would be more useful to coin a term that describes "meaningful life" in discussions like this.

Having said that, I dont think the OP's intention was to ask a question about facts, it was to ask what Christians believe, not what is a rational opinion on the subject, so I will leave you to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I was merely engaging in conceptual clarification. The OP posed his question in a misleading way by stating that it is a Christian belief that life begins at conception. I was merely pointing out that the fact that life begins at conception has nothing to do with Christian belief. So, if being clear in the terms of discussion is "anal"--well, ok.

Second, I'm certainly open to a discussion of what is or isn't a meaningful or morally significant life. As you point out, this wasn't the subject of the OP's question. And, in my post, I did make effort to answer the OP's question, after clarifying the subject.

Third, I would challenge the contrast you draw between a rational opinion and a Christian belief.