View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: troubling common situations

[ QUOTE ]
Sitch #1: I get AQs UTG and open raise to 4xBB. Fold to CO/Button, they reraise to 10BB. Fold to me. Every time I call here, it seems like the only "clean" flop for me would be a flush draw, and that I'm easily behind if an A or a Q hits. And of course, I'm out of position. Should I lay it down? Do players at this level reraise with JJ, TT, or 99 often enough for it to be worth a call? Is it even worth a call if so?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common situation all all lvls in the Party NL games. My decision is highly based on my opponent's VPIP and PFR%. Against a tighty, I will fold and not tangle with AQ. Against a 60/15 player - I'm calling. Again, Playerview really helps with the decision making here. Pretty much the looser player is far more likely to have a wider range of hands, and if they have a high WSD rate, you might even get paid off royally. This will never happen with a tight player - most times your gonna lose a big pot or win a small one if you hit your hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Sitch #2: I open limp in MP with some trash like QTos, one late position player calls, and the blinds complete & check. Flop comes QT6 with two spades. Check, check, I bet the pot, LP calls, blinds fold. Turn is a blank, I bet (how much here? Pot? 1/2, 3/4 pot?), LP calls. River is a low spade, I (check?), LP bets 1/2 pot. Easy fold? I find myself paying off a lot in these situations, and it usually makes me feel fishy. (Side question: If the same situation occurs with an apparent straight draw, is my play any different?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play QT offsuit in any position in NL apart from blinds if you can get in free or cheap. But if you do, betting about 3/4 of the pot is correct or standard. However, there are the few opponents in this particular game on Party that will chase no matter what the pot size. If that's the case I over bet it a lot. I make them pay dearly to draw. It's a big mistake on their part and that's what I capitalize on. Sure they get there sometimes, but it's still huge EV for me.

On the river, I think check-calling is correct provided you put your opponent on a draw. Sometimes, you have to make these laydowns. It's a big part of NL and I've done it a lot. If your opponent bets half to a full pot sized bet you have to be very certain that they didn't have a draw. This goes against limit hold'em thinking where calling 1 more BB is correct with top 2. But this is not the case in NL.

[ QUOTE ]
Sitch #3: I feel awkward on all streets during this kind of situation. I get 76os in the BB. Two limpers, SB completes. Flop comes 974 rainbow. Check, I bet (?) 1/2 pot or pot, one caller behind me. Turn is a blank. I bet again (?), he calls. River is a blank. I check (?). Any better way to go about playing this kind of hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd do this only occasionally for advertising value not to look like a total rock who only bets TPTK or better. But if met with confrontation, I will usually fold. Remember it's for advertising value really. 90% of the time, I check fold this very marginal holding.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence