View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Preflop Suggestions

I've been playing LO8 for seven months now, and winning most sessions. The more I play though, the more I question my play. I'd like to ask a series of questions regarding scenarios, with today's being preflop play. I respect all opinions given, and hope that this sparks a little thought to all.
I consider myself a TAG, who might be a little too aggressive at times postflop. Please don't flame me for using this with my low sample size, but my PTO stats show that I've won $232 when I raise preflop (4.2%), as opposed to being down $96 when I enter a pot without raising. This is after 1400 hands at 2/4 and 3/6 limits.
Ok, on to the questions. In general when do you limp, call, raise, and reraise? Let's assume that all players at the $2/4 table are slightly loose and passive, hardly ever raising preflop.
Situation 1: You are dealt AA7Q ss in MP with one limper.
Situation 2: You are dealt AA23 ss in MP with one limper.
What if there was no limper?
Situation 3: JJQK ss in MP with one limper.
What if there was no limper?
Situation 4: A299 ss in MP with one limper.
Situation 5: A299 ss OTB with 3 limpers.
Situation 6: A2KK ss in MP with one limper.
What if there were no limpers?
Situation 7: A4JQ ss in MP with one limper.
Situation 8: A4JQ ss in LP with two limpers.

Each time you are suited it is to your ace.

Ok, so there are a million hands and scenarios that I could post and try to pick everyone's brain with, but I won't do that. I've read numerous times that you should raise to limit a field, because some hands play better with less players. The problem is, I think every hand is a drawing hand, so if my KKQQ flops K66, I'd rather not have raised so that I can take from the poor guy with K6xx. But if the flop comes 3,4,8, I can easily slip away.
Is any of this making sense? I see that by raising preflop the table automatically puts you on a strong hand and will fold to you postflop unless they hit something very strong. I see many players that win pots before the river because they raised preflop and made people think they had a premium hand.
If I'm in MP with A4xx ds, shouldn't I raise to try and knock out any A3's?
I have so many questions, please offer your advice!