View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: \"How to Missapply a Good Idea,\" or \"Wow, Good Job Applying That Idea\"

[ QUOTE ]
Aight, probably a fold preflop, but I love hitting sets (sorry, just made like 42 guys cringe).

Anywho, the question is about my flop play. I try to be "wicked smaht," and think the play has some real value. If not, it's sooo stupid. So I just wanted some thoughts. PF raiser leads out. No reads on player, but this bet size looks a lot like a probe. No idea what hand is good enough to call this 1/2 pot bet with me still to act and a flush draw on the board. Apparently, UTG+2 has it though. So yeah, the bet, the call, both feel real weak. I don't think either has much. Between UTG's PF raise and UTG+1's call, I think they both have unpaired high cards. So I go for a squeeze play. UTG can't really call because UTG+1 already said he wasn't going away (this assume UTG has nothing). And then it's my read that UTG+1 has nothing and will fold to my all-in (he called twice, he just seems unsure of his hand). So yeah, thoughts? This is an $11, is that my first mistake?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP2 (t770)
MP3 (t742)
CO (t640)
Hero (t775)
SB (t550)
BB (t823)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t785)
UTG+2 (t840)
MP1 (t1275)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t50</font>, MP3 calls t50, CO calls t50, Hero calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: (t215) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t150</font>, MP3 calls t150, CO folds, Hero is All-in (725), MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (t1840) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1840) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1840

[/ QUOTE ]

I play deeper stacks so keep this in mind.

I like the PF call bc it will be a mulitway pot and you are surely gonna get the action if you hit your set. The thing is, on party, with such shallow starting stacks, Im not sure IF you only play for set value whether calling these raises PF is worth it if you don't also play these medium pairs for value if the flop looks innocuous. Problem is here, you have a half pot bet and a call.

I kinda like this play...but only when it works.

What else can I say? People play their PPs for set value, but have a lot of trouble getting away when they dont hit...this is an example, but at least you played it agressively, saw a chance for a squeeze, and took it...but what did you think MP3 was just calling with on this flop? I would've folded 80% of the time, but like I said, at least you didnt continue on passively.