View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: O/T Looking for \"under the mattress\" type investment

Tough question. I wont claim to be an expert at any of this, but I don't see how a novice could possibly expect a better return off diamonds, gold, art, etc. over the market.

You don't want to study the market, or make risky plays? Fine, s&p500 index fund. Lower expenses than any other fund, and highly diversified with a small piece in many major US companies. This will likely crush all that other stuff over 10+ years (not to mention beat the hell out of most fund managers).

CD's do suck, but better than sitting in an even lower % savings account. You can squeeze out a few extra dollars (while remaining semi-liquid) by staggering cd's.

I'd imagine the mark-up on most of this stuff is large. Walk into your local coin shop and buy $200-300 worth of quality coins. Go back in a few weeks and see what he'll give you for them. I'll guess 75%, tops. These dealers are a lot like poker players, they can smell a sucker from a mile away.

I know this isn't exactlly what you asked, but I think it's very solid advice. I'd hate to read about how you lost your ass on investment grade collector plates [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]