View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the World Cup Draw

As far as the US is concerned, Czech Republic is clearly the stronger of the two european sides in this group. I think a draw against them would be an extreamly welcome result. I believe Italy is a winnable game but obviously a draw would be welcome in that match as well. The key for the US will be to salvage two points from their first two games.

Assumking Ghana goes winnless in this group, should the US enter the final match with only one point, they'll be facing a situation in which with a win of the Ghana, they would have four points and would have to rely on a team which has already qualified to win their final match against their opponent who is still fighting for a qualification spot (Italy-Czech match plays after US-Ghana). Then, even if such a scenario whould play out, the US would be tied with either Italy or Czech (presumably the team that they drew) and would need to advance on goal differencial.

Defense will be a key in this group, which fortunately I believe the US does have in their favor. Keller is one of the top keepers in the world and should he stay healthy the US has a realistic chance to move on from Group E.

Then not to look ahead, but a second place group finish would most likely match the Americans up against Brazil...