View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Default 5/10 rule with tight opponents

I have been thinking about the applicability of the 5/10 rule lately. The rule basically says:
If you are holding a smallish pocket pair, the implied odds makes it worth calling a raise for less than 5% of your stack to see the flop. A raise larger than 10% of your stack is not worth calling and anything between is a judgement call.

Ok. This works perfectly against donks, but against tight/cautious opponents you are seldom going to get their stack when you hit your trips, killing your implied odds.

What I wonder is this; When playing against tight/cautious opponents do you still follow the 5/10 rule? In that case, are you able to make up for your smaller implied odds by stealing more pots when you have missed?

Another question for this situation: When you play against a careful guy that does not pay off your trips, even if he has a decent overpair, do you ever try to represent trips to take the pot away, even if you think he is holding an overpair? I don't, but maybe I'm giving up some value. If you can't get the guy to pay off your genuine hands, you should bluff him, right?