View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Experiences with Poker Academy

[ QUOTE ]
Since then I've been trying to get in at least 100 hands a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, crank your delay settings (throttles) down. I can get through 100 hands in well under 10 minutes. Select Options->Edit Throttles, and crank the times way down (I set mine to zero). Also select the fast folds boxes so that it'll speed the action up when you fold.

[ QUOTE ]
When I play Full Ring Beginners I get rolled over. Whenever I try to put a bot "on hand" I'm always wrong, and even when I have a great hand I end up getting out drawn. No one ever folds, the betting is capped at least once a hand and when I do make it so a showdown I get the weirdest bad beats. The Beginners are just too wild for me to win consistently at that table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to beat this table easily. You're probably playing too many hands, cold calling raises out of position too much, not folding enough when you should, and not raising at the right time. That's what I was doing when I first started with it. The wild games are where you make the most money, because that's where the 'bots make the most mistakes, and we profit off of others mistakes. Suck outs happen, and you'll go on losing streaks, but long term you'll come out way ahead if you play well. I was beating the beginners table for ~5BB/100 before I went on a -100BB downswing over 200 hands... Talk about some serious tilt [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Still recovering from that so I'm down to ~3BB/100, and I'm not good at all compared to most players here, I'm still new myself.

[ QUOTE ]
I end up loosing 2-4 big bets every 100 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nothing... You need to play far more hands than that . Like I said earlier, crank your settings down so you can get more hands in, and you'll see what I mean... When you put in 3-400 hands/session, you'll get a better feel for the variance you can go through. That's one of the things I like the most about academy: the better visibility you get into the what is variance and what is bad play.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess what I'm wondering is, is what I'm experiencing typical? Do the rest of you find yourselves mind boggled by what happens at the beginner table? Are most of you able to regularly crush the game at Full Ring Standard? Do the rest of you find you can only make money playing Full Ring Low Limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical for a beginner. You have a bunch of leaks that need to get plugged up, and you need experience. SSHE will help you identify strategy problems (raising/folding/hand selection), and academy will help prepare you tremendously for online play. I recommend, though, starting out at the lower limits. Alternate between the low-limit table, and random tables at .5/1 (that's probably where you'll be starting at when you play "for real"). Get used to that play first... Use it to learn and plug up leaks, and get used to playing against those loose players. The play in academy is very similar to online play, at least as far as suckouts go. Some of the 'bots can get pretty predictable, but you want experience playing at the tables where the pots get jammed preflop... There's a lot of money to be made there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Once you can consistently beat that, you'll be in much better shape.

In general, I really like academy. I wish I had bought it first before playing with real money, as it's a great trainer that gives a "close" feel to the real thing. It would'v helped me identify my leaks very cheaply compared to online play. I can just about guarantee that if you can't beat academy, you won't beat real players [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Now that being said, just because you can beat PA doesn't mean you will be a winning player, but it is a great tool that helped me tremendously, and I still use for practice.