View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the World Cup Draw

Here are my predictions for the group rankings. They could change rather drastically, obviously as injuries and form between now and then are bound to change things.

A:
Germany
Poland
Costa Rica
Ecuador

B:
England
Sweden
Paraguay
T&T

C:
Netherlands
Argentina
S&M
Ivory Coast

D:
Portugal
Mexico
Iran
Angola

E:
Czech Republic
Italy
US
Ghana

F:
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

G:
France
Switzerland
South Korea
Togo

H:
Spain
Ukraine
Saudi Arabia
Tunisia

Most picks I suspect are standard except Switzerland going through from G. They have a huge advantage of basically playing 3 home games. South Korea aren't that good, but used home field advantage to make an amazing run last world cup. On that note I think Poland and the Netherlands should also greatly benefit from playing very nearby. I think Australia has a good shot at going through in group F. The US has it tough and I don't see going through.

One of the more important parts of the draw is the matchups in the knockout stage. With my picks the bracket looks like this:

Germany vs Sweden
Netherlands vs Mexico

Czech Republic vs Croatia
France vs Ukraine

Poland vs England
Portugal vs Argentina

Brazil vs Italy
Spain vs Switzerland

England and Sweden play on the last matchday. Winning that group will be of vital importance to avoid meeting hosts Germany in the round of 16. I think discussion of the Czech Republic or Italy mailing it in on the last matchday is overdone because the second place team from the group will likely play Brazil in the round of 16. Both these pairings make two matches that could be between teams already qualified much more exciting.

Looking at the schedules the third matchday will be ridiculously good. Costa Rica - Poland, Croatia - Australia, Switzerland - Korea, and Ukraine - Tunisia are likely to be 2-3 with the winner going through. In the other four groups it's likely to be 1 vs 2 going into the last day. In two of these there will be much at stake as I said above. Argentina - Netherlands may not be playing for much at that point but it should be quite good as well.