View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I felt like I backed my way into the right play, but I still don't know how much I should have bet. Pete, you think I just push the turn and commit myself to losing my stack if he has a set here?

[/ QUOTE ]

So there's around $290 in the pot and you have about $310 left? is that right? If you had $1000 behind, I'd say bet the pot (maybe a bit less) and then fold to a raise, so how can a pot-sized bet all-in be so bad? This is a frequently-made logical error - when one would be (rightfully) willing to lose a pot sized bet, but not willing to "lose my whole stack" - even though it is only pot sized.*

If you're pretty sure the person has a set, maybe you can finesse the pot by betting $100 and folding to a raise or something silly like that.

* Note: I understand that the analogy here isn't perfect. There are definitely situations where I would be willing to bet a fraction of a big stack where I wouldn't be willing to bet an equal sized all-in (e.g. if I'm bluffing and want to leverage the threat).