View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, I folded-he flipped over 22. I was posting this hand to see if anybody would think it's reasonable to check-fold here. I think the big question is-what would somebody call a pretty big check-raise with on this board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't villian push all in on the flop with a set? Should he really be that scared of a flopped straight or a bigger set? I can understand fear of monsters if the stacks are a lot deeper, but in Los Angeles even tight players gamble with moderate stack sizes relative to the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
A diamond draw seems unlikely because unless he thinks he can stack me when an obvious scare card comes, he's probably incorrect to call this check re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

A diamond draw, especially one with a pair should believe it is worth $100 more to call on the flop. He has a clear shot at about $300 strange.

[ QUOTE ]
For anybody out there who thinks that a "solid player" would call a check RE-raise with TPTK on a 5-high board, I would honestly question what you think solid poker play is.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the stacks are huge, and he puts you on a hand, he can't call with less than a set (if he knows you are solid) because he risks a huge loss. But the stacks aren't huge, so you can have weaker hands than a set or straight (e.g, two pair).

[ QUOTE ]
And for anybody who says I should just push all in, the philosophy of "well, you've charged the draw plenty so when it's possible the guy hits on you you might as well finish the deal" is a good way to lose a lot of money. I think the only pertinent question is, given that this guy was clearly on a draw of some sort, would a diamond draw put in a half-sized, pot-comitting bet with position on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't a good draw or a lessor made hand (or combo) often bet the turn after you (a player who obviously is capable of laying down) checked?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that was unlikely enough that I could fold. Again, if you think a better line is called for, please explain it but I'm skeptical that getting all my chips in is the right answer here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before the no limit poker explosion, folding is the default play. Post WPT, getting the money in is the default play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the posts. I agree with a lot of what you said actually, and I admit the reason I posted this is because despite what he had that hand I have my doubts if I took a proper line. With that said, don't you think you're overestimating the "only 100xbigblind=gamboool!" factor? Do you think that holding 22 on that board with that action it's an auto-push? Maybe the move isn't terrible but you seem to be saying I can rule out a set as opposed to a flush draw because it would be so odd for somebody to play a set so conservatively. At this point, it just becomes player-dependent (both whether he really respects my checkraises and whether I think he's afraid to push with a set on that flop). Your first post seems to ring true more than this one. Do you think that 100x the big blind is really a small enough stack that people are in auto-push mode anytime they get alot of action and a good piece of the flop?