View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: What percentage of players \"consistently\" win?

I think I have read and heard that 10% of those who TRY to become winning players succeed. This does not count for the millions of fish.

I have found poker to be like this...

Think of reading a book where it seems a simple story, a good guy, a bad guy, and a simple murder. As you read the book the plot thickens and a conspiracy unravels that involves the government all the way up to the president dealing with alien beings invloved in a galactic war. The plots are complex and twisted only to find in the end there was no abosolate villain except the war itself....

When I started playing poker I thought it was easy, simple, and a get rich quick scheme. Now after 2 years I can't believe how much I know and I SUCK compared to the pros. It takes an unbelievable amount of hard work, discipline, and love of the game to play poker well. I learn amazing new tactics every single month I couldn't conceive of 6 months ago. 30+ books, over 1000 posts, hundreds of dumb questions, learning to control my emotions while understanding the motives of others, and I stil have a lot to learn.

Now think about what percentage of players are profitable. I know I am.