View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Impossible hand.

My initial reaction to the flop checkraise was that it's bad because you are way ahead or way behind. When your ladies are good (not often) you are very difficult to catch and otherwise you are drawing short to a monster. Either way protecting your hand isn't very important. Might as well minimize the -EV raises and play for overcalls in case you win.

My second reaction was to reconsider my fixed belief that we cannot force out a better hand and go on the win heads up versus bozo. Perhaps we can because this is a very scary situation.

My third reaction is that the second reaction has a flaw. Possibly we achieved the miracle and promoted our second best hand to a winner. So we won a giant pot--not! Our own hand proved to be too weak to stand the heat and we didn't make it to showdown despite turning a gutshot.

The flop checkraise to promote your hand would have made more sense if you were committed to seeing a showdown.

Call the flop. See how many opponents will drop out without being given an extra push. Hope for a good turn. Decide if it's worth continuing when the turn action gets to you.