View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Well Lookee Here! BLUFFThis! is wrong

[ QUOTE ]
Bush's AG has told him that he does have inherent authority, the same as Cinton's asst AG advised him.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Clinton administration was of the view that the president had the authority to authorize warrantless "national security" physical searches at a time where such searches were not covered by FISA. I question whether that was even correct; I suspect it was not. But tellingly, the Clinton administration supported putting these searches under the FISA umbrella and complied with FISA when it was done. Bush says that he has the authority to ignore FISA. I understand that you do not see these as different -- like I said, when you start with the mindset that the president has the unchecked power to override any law he likes, then by definition anything the president does is legal. That mindset, in my view, is profoundly un-American. For those of us that prefer the rule of law, the Clinton administration's approach is light years away from the cavalier "my word is law" attitude of the Bushies.