Thread: GIGABET.
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: GIGABET.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I opened in the cutoff with AdQd, JJ Liu makes it 140k from the button. Blinds fold. Flop is K66 rainbow. I check, JJ Liu bets 100k, I call. Turn is offsuit 2, I bet 200k, JJ calls. River is another offsuit blank, I shove for the rest of her stack(about 600k more). She calls and opens KK.

Earlier in the night, she folded KK face up on a flop of T66, with preflop action like this, phil laak opens utg for a standard raise. JJ Liu reraises big from the button, folds to Laak who calls. Laak leads the flop for 75k(with around 500k behind before the bet, I believe.) JJ raises Laak to 175k, with around 900k behind her. Laak shoves the rest of his stack in. She thinks for 10 minutes and then mucks KK face up.

Side Note: I had never been caught bluffing by anyone at the table, and JJ had consistently shown that she respected my raises, she knew I was out of line alot preflop, but postflop, she never saw anything from me that could be construed as "way out of line."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, when she called your 200k bet on the turn, did you get the impression at all that you were beat? Why did you move all in on the river, since you know you could only be called by a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

he probably thought AJ would pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really see JJ Liu, a solid player, calling on the turn, and then calling all her chips on the river with Ace high?

From the way the hand played out, it seemed like Gigabet was trying to represent at least AK if not KK, but Liu obviously wasn't scared of the flop. If she was trying to make a play withi AJ, I don't see her simply calling on the turn.

The only way I see Gigabet making this play is if he felt he had a very LAG table image, and that JJ saw this as well. Perhaps he thought that if he moved all in on the river, it would suggest he had to have a big hand, and would make any smaller PP fold. But after seeing JJ bet on the flop, and then call on the turn, I don't see how he could imagine her folding when the 2 came on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, Gigabet saw one high card on the board and figured this is a good board to bluff at. If she didn't have AK, KK, AA, or QQ, she might not have been able to call. The problem is that when a solid player reraises preflop, she is likely to have one of those hands.

Gigabet is a LAG and could have anything, but it seems unlikely he would flat call are reraise with a king. If he had QQ-AA or AK he probably would have made a 3rd raise preflop.

This is a classic case of trapping a LAG. I don't want to be accused of stereotyping, but women and particularly oriental women tend to be good at appearing passive and luring someone in to a trap.

Of course this kind of aggressive play looks bad when it doesn't work, but it often works.