View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Fast or slow - flopped boat

On Pacific and Party .25/.5 & .5/1, I have found being the first to bet into any paired board causes a lot of folds most of the time. I'm going to estimate I'll see 3 or more callers only 20% of the time and 1 or 2 callers 70% of the time. With the OP's hand, I think it's better to try to get more big bet calls.

Luckily, the button bet. People are more willing to call a button bet because the button is correctly inclined to bet with less of a hand than anyone else. I would definately not check-raise the button even though I was in the best position to do so because I would expect to fold some of my possible big bet action to this very scary board, even though they already made one bet. I would then find it likely to have killed almost all, or all the action, from anyone who stayed to see the turn.

Hopefully, some folks who would have folded to a flop bet by you but not the button, make a hand or a draw on the turn and give you action. I think there are only 11 hands that can beat you. Namely, pocket pairs 22-JJ and an Ax, with a runner-runner of the same rank they hold to make Quads or Aces over Kings.

This hand is so unlikely to lose, I wouldn't worry about that; although once I lost with the next strongest hand to yours. I had KJ, the flop came KKJ, and I lost to an Ax and runner runner Aces. But I get sucked out more than any other poker player in the world, at least lately, so you probably don't have to go by that.

-TomBk

Warning/Disclaimer: Beginner writing.