View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Three-Betting A9s and Other Silly Shenanigans

I think I may have gone overboard here. I like my line post-flop, but pre-flop was a bit odd. There's backstory:

The pre-flop limper is like a 35% VPIP donkey. The button here is a player against whom I'm playing two tables. At the other table, we had tangled in one hand heads-up where he had check-raised the flop and had very quickly mucked to one turn raise. He seems like a pretty decent tag, and may well be one of you all. He's 14/9/3.15 over about 250 hands but he was losing over those hands which may explain the lowish pfr. So his stats look right in line and he can fold a decent hand.

My basic thought is that my nemesis here is trying to isolate the donkey, and might be doing so with a very wide variety of hands. I feel I have too much of a hand to fold, and prefer to either force the donkey to put in more bets where I probably have an equity edge on him, or to get the hand heads-up with iniative in a padded pot where I may well be ahead. Too ambitious? (My thought is this reraise is automatic with AJ... what about AT and A9?)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Deranged is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Deranged 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Deranged bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Deranged calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Deranged bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Deranged bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB