View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Should VP$IP be relative to table VP$IP?

VP$IP in of itself isn't necessarily useful even in the long run, but it's generally a good indicator. If I folded AA, KK and AKs, but played 22, 33 and 32s I'd end up with the same VP$IP if you see what I mean [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so it definitely doesn't mean you're playing the right cards at the right time, but if you're in the range you're probably not too far off. I think too many people see they've got a solid VP$IP and PFR and think they're gold at pre-flop play and that isn't necessarily true. Only really understanding what you're doing with each hand can tell you if you're playing correctly pre-flop and what is "correct" changes from table to table and against different players just like you were asking about.

Bottom line, learn the theory! If you understand the theory the stats will follow. Don't try to make it work the other way around. The stats are good because they help you find the holes in your theory that need patching and identify the leaks in others you wish to exploit.

As for short term versus long term, I actually think VP$IP is fairly useful in the short term. After 50-100 hands you'll probably have someone's VP$IP pretty well pegged. It is unlikely to move more than 3-5% either way though obviously there are always exceptions when someone is just on a horrible or an incredible run of cards.