View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Anybody rather win a satellite into the WPT Championship than the

I have played in both of these events (I won a seat to the WPT Championship in 2004 through Pokerstars & the WSOP ME 2005 through Party.) They were very different experiences.

Here are my thoughts:

Buy In:
The WPT Championship is $25k and the WSOP is $10k ( Advantage: WPT Championship )

Tournament Structure
In the WSOP you start with 10k in chips with 100 minute levels on day 1 (2 hour levels on day 2+). The WPT starts with 50k in chips with basically the same blind level as the WSOP and levels go up 90 minutes. Also, we only played 9 hours a day at the WPT Championship where day 1 of the WSOP, I played 15.5 hours. It was brutal. Advantage: WPT Championship

Facilities
This is no contest. The Bellagio wins this hands down. I recognize that the Rio had to accomodate a lot more people, but one bathroom for 2000 guys, are you kidding me? Advantage: WPT Championship

Competition Level
Well since I finished in the top 20% at the WPT and top 5% at the WSOP, I definitely have to say the WSOP is way easier. One table I played on was like a college game ( Advantage: WSOP)

Atmosphere
This is a tough one. Playing in the WPT Championship felt so much more special than playing at the WSOP. However, there was a lot more electricity not to mention a ton more people at the WSOP. Advantage: Toss Up

Star Factor:
My table on Day 1 consisted of Mike Matusow, Randy Jensen, Clonie Gowen, a British kid that won the first WSOP 2004 event, several other pros that I cant remember their names, and Doyle Brunson joined us later in the day. It was an all star field. My first table at the WSOP consisted of Tuan Le who busted out early. I didn't see another pro until day three where I sat next to several (Lee Watkinson, Layne Flack, Sammy Farha, the shiek (what an absolute jerk), just to name a few). ( Advantage: WPT)

In the end, I loved playing in both of them but I think the WPT Championship was a better tournament.