View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Balancing poker, social life, and career goals (long but please re

It seems to me that you're putting a lot of time and effort into your career and future, and I would be careful to make sure you keep a balance. Even though you won't keep in touch with all your friends for your whole life, your most rewarding relationships will be the ones you've had the longest.

Like vexvelour said, most people reach a stage where just partying starts to lose its appeal. You come across as a very motivated individual and you might want to look for other people around you with the same kinds of values and goals. Those probably aren't the party animals.

I've noticed a lot of times two things happen to a person's circle of friends as they go through this stage of their life. One, the circle gets smaller. Two, the relationships get stronger. Ultimately, most people get to where they have a girlfriend/spouse which is both the smallest and strongest "circle of friends" in their life.

I wouldn't worry about what your social life will be like when you graduate/move/whatever. Wherever you end up, you'll find people who are similar to you and you'll establish friendships.

Like I said, you seem very motivated and intelligent. You're giving yourself the kind of start that leads to a successful career. I don't know how much you're making at poker, but it's very unlikely to be very much compared to what you will be making a few years from now. Looking back on this time in your life, you'll find the money was less important than you thought and the friendships were more important. Play as much as you like for enjoyment, but don't neglect your social life on account of poker. The friendships will become a lot more valuable than the cash.

I don't have a crystal ball and can't tell you where you'll be five years from now. Nothing I said applies to everybody. Some people are happiest without a girlfriend/wife/S.O. Some people have a lot more close friends than others. But I think almost everybody agrees that, at your age, investments in your relationships with others will pay off more than your financial investments.

By the way, don't call me old. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]