View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: 11s tight as hell lately?

I had noticed the same situation while playing the $11s.

I concluded it was due to the time of day.

The situation you have described arises during the day, especially 9AM-2PM, where most people are at work. I call it the "granny crowd", it felt as if I were playing against grandmothers that didn't get steamed, but just kept on playing according to the list their nephews gave them.

I'm sure we're speaking of the same situation.
Most people will have 300-800, people will fold a 300 blind when all they have left after is 25, they'll sit a whole orbit before they bust, etc.

3 ways of getting out:

1) Play between 2AM and 7AM when everyone is literally on tilt and you'll find the exact opposite of what you just described, you'll reach the bubble so fast you won't believe it; or at least you'll find games that are normal.

I'm a huge night owl, and don't sleep more than 6 hours a day, these hours suit me the best. Be careful not to play at this time if you're tired/sleepy.

"YOU GOTTA SOME BALLZ TO PLAY POKER!!!11" is not an uncommon taunt at this hour, be advised, and bring your balls -- the variance is slightly disturbing. FE is literally non-existant at times.

2) Move up to the $22s, grannies can't afford'em. Though I must say, at the $22s, bubble and ITM last a lot longer than the average $11, or so I've observed.

3) Observe a completely other time of day, see how it fits you.

Of course, my assumptions are completely based on the notion that the time of day is what causes this mysterious behavior.

P.S: You could study up on your all-in skills (*cough*EV, ICM, eastbay!*cough*) and try to beat them as they are, gain a chip lead, use stack, cook for 15 at 350, serve hot.